Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

History

Did you see this Paris apartment that has been untouched since 1942? The owner, Madame de Florian, a socialite and actress fled during the war but continued paying the rent until her death in 2010. I thought it was so fascinating. I would love to wander through her apartment and look at everything. Is that creepy? I've been going to estate sales for years now, which my kids think is beyond creepy. Whatever.

We had our guild Sew Day last Saturday. It was great to get out and sew. Real jobs have kept me from goofing off and sewing. Red's foot control decided to go haywire and sew at excessive speeds, so I had to leave early. The next day, I took the foot control apart and cleaned it out. It seems to be fixed, but we'll see. In the meantime, I hope I don't sew over a finger or two. It goes SO fast and you can only stop it by turning the machine off. Did I mention I'm on my second foot control in five years?

I pieced all the Catvent blocks together at Sew Day. Twenty five days of Christmas cats. The different blocks are so fun and I love the rainbow colors. I added grey borders after this, so it's a little larger. It's plenty small enough to quilt it myself, so that's up next. I have two extra kitties to put somewhere on the backing. I'm going to try to piece that today.

Our block of the month for February is the Scrappy Trip Along block that went viral in blogland last year. It's a fun block and looks great in scraps. It will be fun to see all the blocks together. We have lots of participation in our guild blocks of the month.

I haven't been cooking as much as usual, but I did make some good egg salad last week. I threw everything but the kitchen sink in it and still forgot Dijon mustard. It was still good. I wanted to make avocado egg salad. Doesn't that sound good? My avocados weren't cooperating that day. The avocados have been dirt cheap this season. I buy a bunch at every grocery trip and then patiently wait until one ripens.

I also tried this Greek yogurt markinated chicken. Pretty good! I grilled boneless, skinless chicken thighs on my BBQ grill. Bone-in chicken is always better, but I buy what looks good and/or is on sale at the grocery. I'm getting skin on chicken next time too.

Breakfast this morning was this salami, bacon and spinach hash. I substituted the russet potatoes with a half baked sweet potato leftover from a dinner fail. I threw some fresh jalapeno in too and left out the orange zest and nutmeg, because I was trying to remember the recipe without looking it up. I'm the only sweet potato fan around these parts, but Inspector Gadget is usually more hungry than picky. He's not a spinach fan either, but I put that stuff in everything!

So happy to have a day off where I don't have to travel, work, or run errands. Even laundry sounds fun. Okay, I'll go now. Clearly I fallen off the deep end. Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Oooo! So I had to comment because I see a Janome Heart Truth sewing machine in the picture. I'm the only person I know with one of those. I'm assuming it's yours. I have the occasional crazy speed control thing happen! I'd never thought about cleaning it. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating story about Madame de Florian - maybe it will inspire a book or a movie. I'm mystified by how to quilt those lovely Catvent blocks. I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the abandoned apartment story as well. Wish I could go there. I love the signs of age and time passing, as in the water-damaged wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...